Prismatic is open-source software / hardware for photobiology research
What is Prismatic?
Prismatic is a modular, wifi programmable, multi-channel LED light that gives you precise control over the the spectrum you give your plants. Connect with your phone or computer, the web-based scheduling system lets you create simple and advanced programs.
I built Prismatic to optimize light spectrum for organogenesis and regeneration in tissue culture, but it can be used for any precision lighting, photobiology, specialty plant growth, or plant propagation situation.
Prismatic V2 Coming March 2019
Pulse: a multi-channel LED driver
A multi-channel LED driver built on NodeMCU (with constant-voltage and constant-current versions, depending on your needs).
- intuitive wifi-programmable UI for programming advanced schedules
- upload programs, replicate experiments
Photon: a multi-channel LED array
A 9 channel LED array designed for the WeVitro dogBox tissue culture bioreactor
Prismatic V1 AKA FinMax
How is Prismatic used?
Each Prismatic module can be independently programmed, try growing your plants under different conditions and see how they respond. Perform controlled experiments using the Central Composite Rotatable Design. Generate a response surface and find the optimum mixture of spectra. I then validate this using replicated studies.
How did I make this stuff?
- Programming C, C++, HTML, and JQuery on NodeMCU
- Circuit design Eagle
- PCB fabrication www.jlcpcb.com
- PCB assembly Made to order, assembled by hand in Guelph, Canada
What’s here for me?
DIY - Prismatic is going open-source, check back soon for:
- Code for an advanced sheculing interface (built on NodeMCU)
- PCB schematics and layouts (Eagle)
- Bill of materials
- Design of experiments: CCRD, RSM
Like what you see?
Prismatic was designed and built by Finlay A.A. Small in association with the the AMP Jones Lab and the Gosling Research institute for Plant Preservation at The University of Guelph.
- I make custom research equipment
- I find the optimal light spectrum for your crop
- I consult for your plant production and science needs